Daily Routines to Jump-Start Math Class, High School: Engage Students, Improve Number Sense, and Practice Reasoning
Kickstart your high school math class!
Do your students need more opportunities do develop number sense and reasoning? Are you looking to get your students energized and talking about mathematics? Have you wondered how practical, replicable, and engaging activities would complement your mathematics instruction?
This guide answers the question “What could I do differently?” Taking cues from popular number sense and reasoning routines, this book gives you the rundown on how to engage in five different daily 5–10 minute routines, all of which include content-specific examples, extensions, and variations of each for algebra, functions, geometry, and data analysis. Video demonstrations allow you to see the routines in action and the book includes a year’s worth of daily instructional material that you can use to begin each class period. The routines in this book will help students
- -Frequently revisit essential mathematical concepts
- -Foster and shore up conceptual understanding
- -Engage in mental mathematics, leading to efficiency and fluency
- -Engage in mathematical discourse by constructing viable arguments and critiquing the reasoning of others
- -Reason mathematically, and prepare for high stakes assessments
- -Move learning beyond “correctness” by valuing mistakes and discourse and encouraging a growth mindset
From trusted authors and experts Eric Milou and John SanGiovanni, this teacher-friendly resource will give you all the tools and tips you need to reinvent those critical first five or ten minutes of math class for the better!