Executive Skills and Reading Comprehension, Second Edition: A Guide for Educators
This pioneering book is now in a revised and expanded second edition featuring the latest neuroscientific knowledge and instructional strategies.
Kelly B. Cartwright provides a teacher-friendly explanation of executive skills—such as planning, organization, cognitive flexibility, and impulse control—and their role in reading comprehension. Detailed examples illustrate how each skill is deployed by strong comprehenders and ways to tailor instruction for students who are struggling.
The companion website features reproducible planning and assessment forms from the book as well as supplemental card sorts to teach and assess cognitive flexibility, all ready to download and print in a convenient 8½“ x 11” size.
New to This Edition
- Updated throughout with advances in theory, research, and instruction.
- Chapter on word recognition, with particular attention to dyslexia.
- Information on the development of the brain’s reading network.
- Expanded emphasis on oral language comprehension.
- Appendix of intervention studies; online-only supplement with card sorts to teach and assess cognitive flexibility.
Preorder now! Available March 2023