Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics in the Common Core, Grades 6-8 25 Formative Assessment Probes
Pinpoint and reverse math misconceptions with laser-like accuracy
Here’s the middle-grades math resource you’ve been waiting for! Bestselling authors Cheryl Tobey and Carolyn Arline are back with 25 entirely new assessment probes that pinpoint subconcepts within the new Common Core Standards for Mathematics to promote deep learning and expert math instruction. Learn to ask the right questions to uncover common student misconceptions. Get practical instructional ideas that build new and accurate skills–while learning is already underway. It’s all here in this detailed and grade-level specific guide.
Organized by strand, the probes will enable you to:
- Quickly and objectively evaluate common misconceptions around fractions and decimals, linear equations, ratios and percents, statistics, and more
- Systematically address conceptual misunderstandings and procedural mistakes–before they become long-term problems
- Help students better understand areas of difficulty
- Plan targeted instruction that builds on students’ current understandings while addressing areas of struggle
- Master the essential CCSM mathematical processes and proficiencies for Grades 6-8
You’ll find sample student responses, extensive Teacher Notes, and research-based tips and resources. Eliminate the guesswork and join thousands of busy middle-grades teachers who’ve used these easy-to-implement tools to foster solid math proficiency!