Your Literacy Standards Companion, Grades K-2: What They Mean and How to Teach Them
Standards-based learning just got a lot easier
In this brand-new version of The Common Core Companion, the authors provide indexes for all states implementing state-specific ELA standards. This index allows you to see in an instant which of your standards are the same as CCSS, which differ and how—and which page number to turn to for standards-based teaching ideas.
Beyond that? It’s the same great go-to guide for implementing the standards, translating each and every standard for reading, writing, speaking and listening, language, and foundational skills into day-to-day “what you do”—lesson ideas, best literacy practices, group configurations, adaptations for ELLs, and more.
It’s all here, page by page:
- -The standards for literature and informational texts put side by side for easier planning
- -More than a dozen teaching ideas for each standard
- -Recommendations on how to cultivate the habits of mind that are critical to meeting the standards including interpersonal skills, collaboration, and perseverance
- -A glossary of academic language for each standard
- -Teaching suggestions for how to support ELAs
- -Developmental debriefs to signal how you may need to adapt expectations to meet students where they’re at
- -An online bank of graphic organizers, student reproducibles, sample classroom charts, and rubrics
- -Reproducible planning template for each standard to help you map out lessons, select books, generate key questions, and more
With this book, you have what you need to bring about astounding clarity of expectations for what students are to learn, and what teachers can do to bring about the sustained literacy experiences students need to apply their learning.